Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 06:43:18 +0100
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: All *2john programs should use basename of filename when put as “login” field

magnum:
I revieved our *2john files from src dir:

-----fix needed
mozilla2john
keyring2john
ssh2john
keychain2john
pfx2john
putty2john
pwsafe2john

-----fixed
gpg2john - is this portable?
zip2john - not portable?
rar2john - not portable?
dmg2john - not portable???

----- I'm not sure
office2john
vncpcap2john

-----does not print file names at all (is it ok?)
kwallet2john
truecrypt_volume2john

-----not applicable?
wpapcap2john
uaf2john
racf2john
hccap2john
keepass2john

Before we start fixing them I would like to hear what is the proper
way of handling basename to be portable.
I tried to implement what you sketched earlier in gpg2john - please
take a look at it.
General function should also take list of extensions that will be
stripped, OR strip everything after last dot OR does not stip
extensions.
I would like to have this function defined somewhere and included in
other files to avoid stupid code duplication, so we need a proper
place for it.

Lukas