Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 23:27:54 +0100
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gpg2john (was: Work needed before Jumbo-8)

2013/3/12 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
> 1. Supplying a bad file (not a key file) results in no output at all.
> 2. Supplying a public key file, same lack of output.
> 3. The full path is used for the login field.
>
> For 1 and 2, we might want to add some warning or other output to stderr. For 3 we should definitely use the basename and ideally also strip the .gpg or .pgp extension (are .pgp files supported at all?).

Following patch should give us a bit better error handling, but still
far from perfect, some examples below:

ukasz@...th ~/JohnTheRipper/run $ ./gpg2john pub.asc
File: pub.asc does not contain a secret key

ukasz@...th ~/JohnTheRipper/run $ ./gpg2john bad_file.asc
Exception while parsing key: Unsupported key version 101

When you give private key file that is not complete it will not show
any error, but I think we can live with that.

This patch also strips basename, adds copyrights and contains some
code cleanups.

Lukas

Download attachment "gpg2john_improved_error_handling.diff" of type "application/octet-stream" (9269 bytes)