Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 21:11:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cisco - Password type 4 - SHA256

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 10:15:50PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> It is 25. I have fixed my code.

Is the password truncated after this length?

Have we considered adding the proper logic into valid() and binary() of
the raw SHA-256 format instead of adding a whole new format for these
hashes?  They're only different in the way the hashes are encoded.

About the only reason to make this a separate format is the truncation
at length 25, which we may want to support.  However, maybe it'd be
cleaner to have a second struct fmt_main with its own valid() and
binary() and PLAINTEXT_LENGTH in the raw SHA-256 format instead of a
whole new format file?  That way, any optimizations will be shared, etc.
With two entirely separate format files, we have code duplication and/or
one of the formats may be lagging behind the other in terms of
optimizations.

Alexander