Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:36:55 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: formats that duplicate dynamics

On 27 Jan, 2013, at 4:11 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 08:31:11AM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The "postgre" format at the very least needs to be renamed from the
>>> ridiculous "postgre" to "postgres".  This includes the filename,
>>> FORMAT_LABEL, and the "$postgre$" prefix string.
>>
>> If these changes are final, they will also involve sending a small
>> patch to Ettercap project.
>
> Unless anyone suggests a different kind of rename/action (and we agree
> on that), yes - we'll likely end up making the above changes.

Since a patch is already submitted/accepted to Ettercap, IMO we should just change the filename and format label but leave the tag alone. Changing the tag is not that important. You may picture 'postgre$' as leetspeak  :-)

Changing it now may lead to discrepancy with other tools. This happened with $ml$ tags - Dave Grohl added support for our unstable format (which is great) but then we changed it. That is taken care of now btw.

> It is possible that the prefix string will need to be changed to a
> $dynamic_*$, though.

I always thought it's backwards when permanent formats (including "thick" and preloaded dynamics) use $dynamic tags. Raw MD5 and SHA1 is most notable.  Jim, would it be possible to add some generic tag-handling to dynamic, so eg. a thin format or a user defined or preloaded one could specify its format_tag? Ideally it would enable a format to recognize both "$dynamic_nn$" and "$postgre$" in input files as well as pot files but always output the latter. This is for bleeding though, not Jumbo-8.

magnum