Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:36:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: clock err in timers (alarm, status ...) and fix

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 03:08:39PM +0100, Costin Enache wrote:
> In the first case, OS_TIMER=1,in the second one OS_TIMER=0 (as per arch.h,
> disabled for OpenCL). I guess we should have some more precise timers for
> OpenCL builds too :)

OK, this confirms my initial guess that the issue is jumbo's misuse of
the signal handler invocations for the time limit feature.  This has
nothing to do with sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK).

magnum - please fix this by reimplementing the time limit feature.

There's not much, if anything, to fix in core as it relates to this.
The status line, benchmarks, etc. are not affected.  "Save = ..." is
affected in OS_TIMER=0 builds, but do we care?

Thanks,

Alexander