Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 02:15:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Jan Starke <jan.starke@...ofbed.org>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Brute-forcing with regular expressions

Hi Jan,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 09:41:22PM +0100, Jan Starke wrote:
> I'm currently working on a library to create values (e.g. passwords)
> based on regular expressions. One could use this tool together with
> john like this:
>
> $ rexgen -i 'password[0-9]{2,4}' | john -pipe ....
>
> You are also able to use this tool via a lua interface (possibly not
> interesting for john) or directly throw it's c/c++ programming
> interface.
>  I'm looking forward to people who are going to use this tool/library,
> try and test it and, hopefully, provide feedback regarding bugs or
> improvement ideas to me.
>
> The projects website is currently http://code.google.com/p/rexgen/

This is very nice, but why are you posting this to john-dev rather than
john-users?  I think this belongs to john-users, as we're not discussing
any source code snippets, etc. here, but rather you have an end-user
usable tool (right?) and you're asking for feedback on that.  (Yes, you
also have a library.)

I suggest that you post the same message to john-users, and encourage
further discussion there rather than here.  This will reach more people.

Thanks,

Alexander