Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:12:04 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GPU driver versions (was: remaining DMG issues)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 09:23:06PM +0100, magnum wrote:
> I think we should generally just recommend "latest stable" OpenCL drivers.

"Stable" as defined by whom?

I think it is important for JtR to work well with the same driver
versions that atom recommends for hashcat.  Not only those
recommendations are not arbitrary and are closely relevant for this kind
of use, but also it makes users' life easier when they can run both
hashcat and JtR on the same systems, without having to swap drivers.
It assists JtR vs. hashcat benchmarks, too.

It is also highly desirable for JtR to work well with other driver
versions, including whatever latest releases are available from the GPU
vendors.  We should be testing these and fixing any compatibility issues
that we can fix easily (and indeed we should be fixing our bugs).

Alexander