Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:10:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: remaining DMG issues

magnum, Dhiru, all -

Here are a few I noticed, most important first:

1. We use a non-split OpenCL kernel.  At high iteration counts like 250k
it's bound to cause AMD ASIC hangs.  Perhaps this is already on your
to-do for fixing?

2. I just got both the dmg and dmg-opencl formats to segfault when
feeding them with truncated input.  Specifically, I took the first
quoted string from the tests in dmg_fmt_plug.c.  The one that ends in
...60156.  I put it in a file on its own.

3. There are warnings on unused read() return value in dmg2john.c.
We need proper checks of the return value (or better yet, also loops
similar to read_loop() in popa3d, although when reading regular files
partial reads are unlikely).

A non-code issue:

4. We need to have DMG test cases on this wiki page:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/sample-non-hashes

(including for both 1000 and non-1000 iteration count files).

... and we should probably use alphabetical order for the different
formats listed there.

Thanks,

Alexander