Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 20:46:19 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: des-opencl question

On 7 Feb, 2013, at 19:57 , Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:
> This was the original error message posted by George. For some reason des-opencl won't build on apple and I'm wondering what could be the possible issues!!
>
> Hey Guys,
> I had a question regarding some of the recent changes that were made on the unstable des-opencl patches. I'm having some difficulties with the kernel on my Mac with an ATI-6970
> john --format=des-opencl --test
> OpenCL platform 0: Apple, 2 device(s).
> Device 1: ATI Radeon HD 6970M
> Build log: Error getting function data from server
> Error -11 building kernel. DEVICE_INFO=1090
> OpenCL error (CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE) in file (common-opencl.c) at line (209) - (clBuildProgram failed.)
> I saw some recent discussions (thread excerpt below) around switching between the other fallback modes of the kernel, but wasn't sure what this involves, or if you could provide any further guidance.
> Regards,
>  George
> Regards,
> Sayantan

My bet would be Apple's ridiculous driver. Several formats does not work for me (GT650M, OSX 10.8.2), giving that exact build error, but I have managed to work around the problem in some cases. There is no specific solution, nothing specific to avoid. Just look at the "#ifdef APPLE" in rar_kernel.cl and try to figure out why that works... I found that out by trial'n'error. It's the exact same thing with slightly different code, and voila, it works.

Incidentally, the DES format does work for me. NT and some others does not. There is definitely nothing wrong in the NT kernel, it's the driver.

Device 1: GeForce GT 650M
Benchmarking: Traditional DES [OpenCL]... DONE
Many salts:	2279K c/s real, 2279K c/s virtual
Only one salt:	2240K c/s real, 2259K c/s virtual

Device 1: GeForce GT 650M
Build log: Error getting function data from server
Error -11 building kernel. DEVICE_INFO=130
OpenCL error (CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE) in file (common-opencl.c) at line (569) - (clBuildProgram failed.)

Rebooting my MBP to Linux, every single format works just fine.

magnum
Content of type "text/html" skipped