Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 08:30:38 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New tool (comments wanted). pcap2john

On 7 Feb, 2013, at 8:04 , Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:
>> what we need next is a pcap2john that doesn't miss a beat. Speaking of that: We should have a generic pcap2john that finds *any* JtR supported format in a pcap file, and output hashes accordingly. So for one single pcap file, you could end up with DMD5 hashes, wpapsk hashes, ntlmv1, krb5 and so on. That would be mighty cool for pentests.
>
> Are you guys planning to write a new tool from scratch? How about
> modifying / extending Ettercap?
>
> I like the extensibility of Ettercap's source code and it works pretty
> well too. I have extended Ettercap to output O5LOGON, VNC, MySQL,
> MongoDB, PostgreSQL hashes.
>
> An added advantage will be the support we will get from existing
> Ettercap developers.

That might be even better. This way you'll have the actual sniffing capability in there too. And it will promote use of JtR to any ettercap user. We should create a wiki page with wanted/done formats. And possibly links to how/what to do, like this: http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2010/07/27/1

And perhaps that wiki page could include a brief how-to, like: Where do I start? Is there an ettercap git repo somewhere? Who do I send pull requests to?

BTW I reworked DMD5 recently. I believe it would only work correctly when attacking a single hash until now, due to bugs. OMP support was added too iirc.

magnum