Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 21:44:36 +0000
From: shane Shane <shane@...twareontheside.info>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: python *2john scripts

Getting the error's your getting now that I have the right interpreter.
Can't see any obvious solutions though.

At least for the pdf2john.py I think it's to do with the character encoding
of strings on windows. Testing the ruby versions and it works perfectly
where the python one failed so there may actually be a technical reason to
use the ruby code for pdf2john.

I like having the binaries as a user but it's also handy not to have to
compile the scripts & I find them easier to work with as a dev.

Regards,

Shane

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM, shane Shane
> <shane@...twareontheside.info> wrote:
> > So I did a little testing with the activestate python. I couldn't
> reproduce
> > the the odf2john bug but I'll try with the proper version of python later
> > and in the pdf2john the activestate python seems to return -1 from a find
> > string method where other version's of python find the matching string
> and
> > return the position it's a really odd bug but I'm not sure how much we
> have
> > to worry about active python since it's not the version blessed by the
> > python foundation and I can't look at the source to see what it's doing
> > differently.
> I've tested using this version too (3 pythons :), same thing for odf
> and pdf (pdf does still work for cygwin)
> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.6/python-2.6.6.msi I've installed
> the pycrypto as well
>
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/downloads/pycrypto26/pycrypto-2.6.win32-py2.6.exe
>
> We can take this off list if it gets too noisy here, and we can sum up
> once we know more. I like having the binaries (mozilla2john etc) as
> opposed to the py scripts, but that's just me :)
> -rich

Content of type "text/html" skipped