Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 23:24:24 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL problems

On 4 Feb, 2013, at 22:53 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/2013 10:31 PM, magnum wrote:
>> What happens without that show_usage cludge? Does it fail to give proper usage output? Ah no, I think I see now: this way it wont even list the formats unless we have a proper device, right?
>>
>> I think we should think about this before doing too much. Maybe we should list the formats anyway. Or maybe not. Argh.
>>
>> The simplest might be to drop this idea and just do like unstable: As long as you don't use an OpenCL format, it's fine not having any working platform and/or device. Only when you do, you'll get a device/platform error.
>
> The other approach could also be justified.
> You could create and distribute one binary, and this binary would just
> list what's available on a specific system.

You'd still need OpenCL libs unless we statically link them. But on a VCL master host, it would be somewhat cool that if you just do ./john it will list no GPU formats, but with "vclrun ./john" they will be there. OTOH this might also be very confusing.

Most important is that it works at all. If you have a fully working OpenCL installation and then just remove your GPU card, the john binary should continue to work (with non GPU formats, obviously). Maybe it's more logical that it also ceases to list OpenCL formats. Or maybe not.

I think I prefer always listing the OpenCL formats.

magnum