Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 07:29:05 +0100
From: atom <atom@...hcat.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: NetNTLMv1

I never looked at NetNTLM before but yesterday some guy on hashcat
forum asked for implementation into hashcat.

This weakness was obvious to me. I was wondering why its not implemented in JtR.

You're right so far, the weakness is the third DES part. Its keyspace
is just 2^16. All you need is to Brute-Force this keyspace on CPU,
which is very fast. It takes only a few ms with OpenSSL DES on a
single core. But once you found it, you know the last 16 bit of the
MD4.

Now you running your candidates against the MD4, but you compare only
these last 2 bytes first. If they dont match, there is no need to
calculate the three DES parts, its completly eleminated. Only if it
matches you need to calculate it but chances for this is 2^16.

The speedup is so high that you an directly compare it to MD4.

--
atom

email: atom@...hcat.net

web: http://hashcat.net/