Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:46:57 +0100
From: atom <atom@...hcat.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: DCC2 performance

The default values are all set individually for each algorithm /
gpu-vendor. There is no algorithm behind which tries to evaluate the
theoretical best value. It is all hardcoded.

If the desktop starts lagging I am lowering these defaults for
gpu-accel and gpu-loops until the desktop runs lagfree (plus some
spare value). This gives the -new- user a good first impression of
stability and when he gains more experience with the program he finds
out how to manually override this for maximum performance.

Especially for slow hashes like DCC2 and WPA I am setting them to
extreme low values. They produce more load to the overall System
because there is no candidate attack amplifier on GPU. This generates
more load to the Disc, since it has to load more data, and more load
to the bus because it has to copy this data.

--
atom

email: atom@...hcat.net

web: http://hashcat.net/