Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 08:31:11 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: formats that duplicate dynamics

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> The "postgre" format at the very least needs to be renamed from the
> ridiculous "postgre" to "postgres".  This includes the filename,
> FORMAT_LABEL, and the "$postgre$" prefix string.

If these changes are final, they will also involve sending a small
patch to Ettercap project.

Do you want to do these changes before the upcoming release?

> However, there's a more general issue: can't the same be implemented as
> a dynamic format?
> This general issue probably applies to several other formats as well,
> including e.g. "mongodb".

I promised to use dynamic format where I could and I did
(htdigest2john.py is an example).

I will see if the above mentioned formats can be implemented using
dynamic format.

--
Dhiru