Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:43:07 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Min password length

On 01/23/2013 06:25 PM, magnum wrote:
> The git versions of Jumbo has a --min-length=N option that does what you want - except that formats should also be able to default to > 0 on their own.
>
> The --min-length=N option will affect modes that already had such notion (ie. Incremental and Markov) and it will also affect Single and Wordlist modes in that they will drop words shorter than N (after applying rules, if applicable).

Both --min-length=N and --max-length=N (and their effect on different
cracking modes (--incremental and --markov / --wordlist and --single /
--external) need to be documented in doc/OPTIONS.

Since we are not running out of space in out --list=hidden-options
output, we might improve the wording for these two options (or refer to
doc/OPTIONS once the documentation exists).

> BTW we need some systematic testing of these new options.

I knew how --min-length=N and --max-length=N work for --incremental and
--markov (tested this in the past).
After my last reply to Jim I tested it with --wordlist (with and without
--rules), and was just thinking about how to test it for --single mode
(since --single doesn't work well with --stdout).

What happens (what is the expected behaviour) if --single or --wordlist
is combined with an --external filter?

Frank