Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:44:45 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Min password length

On 01/23/2013 04:26 PM, jfoug@....net wrote:
> ---- Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/23/2013 02:45 PM, jfoug@....net wrote:
>>> What about formats which have a min password length?  Do we have a mechanism to tell JtR to not try any words that are shorter than X bytes long?  I know we have external filters to force this, but that is not the question.  Do we have a way to automatically do this?
>>>
>>> There are algorithms that specify minimal, so trying words less than the min length is a total waste of resources.
>>
>> What formats are affected?
>
> WPAPSK or sure.  In it's specification, it lists 8 character PW min.

What about changing BENCHMARK_COMMENT in src/wpapsk to
" (should be used with --min-lenght=8" or something similar as a
workaround in unstable, think about a real fix for bleeding, and add a
mapping rule to run/benchmark-unify which removes this comment (so that
it matches the output of older versions ans (hopefully) of future versions?
But users might still be confused because that "message" doesn't
disappear even if you use --min-length=8.

BEWARE: In all other cases, benchmark-unify maps older format names to
those of the newest jumbo release, so that you would have to convert
only one of the two files you want to compare with relbench, if the
other file has been created with the newest john version.

(TODO: I need check if some jumbo-7 format names need to be mapped to
the names used in the next jumbo. How much time do I have?)

The other (and probably less confusing) short-term fix for unstable
might be to hard code a min-length=8 in if the format is wpapsk.
This min-length adjustment should be accompanied by an strerr output.

Frank