Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:28:02 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Options which are not mentioned in doc/OPTIONS

After stumbling across two options which are not documented in
doc/OPTIONS, I thought I might as well check what else is missing.

So, here comes a list of options (either from the main usage screen or
from --list=hidden-options) which are not mentioned in doc/OPTIONS.
(I didn't count doc/CHANGES-jumbo and doc/CHANGES-jumbo.git as
documentation for options which aren't documented anywhere else.)

--device=N

(Only for GPU)

--help

Since I submitted the patch which added the --help option, I'll come up
with a patch documenting it. (Not that --help would need much
documentation.)

 --log-stderr

--markov

This option is well documented in doc/MARKOV. So doc/OPTIONS just needs
a very short description and a pointer to doc/MARKOV.

--max-length=N

May be in addition to doc/OPTIONS we also need to adjust doc/MARKOV,
doc/INCREMENTAL, doc/EXTERNAL, doc/MODES, doc/EXAMPLES
doc/README-OPENCL does mention this option:
"Some formats honour the --max-length option, ..."

--max-run-time=N

The files mentioned for --max-length=N might need to be updated.

--pipe

This option is mentioned in doc/ENCODINGS:
$ iconv < greek.8859-7.dict -f iso-8859-7 -t cp737 | ./john -pipe
-enc:cp737 ...

What about s#./john -pipe -enc:cp737#./john --pipe -encoding=cp737# here?

--platform=N

(Only for OpenCL)

--plugin=NAME[,..]

I am afraid there are not that many people who would be able to document
--plugin=NAME.
(I still need to know how to find possible completions for --plugin= in
my bash completion script.)

--raw-always-valid=C

--request-scalar

(OpenCL only)