Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 8:45:46 -0500
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Min password length

I know for max length, we use PLAINTEXT_LENGTH, and put that into the plaintext_length section of the format, and then JtR will handle password lengths (truncating, I think).

What about formats which have a min password length?  Do we have a mechanism to tell JtR to not try any words that are shorter than X bytes long?  I know we have external filters to force this, but that is not the question.  Do we have a way to automatically do this?

There are algorithms that specify minimal, so trying words less than the min length is a total waste of resources.