Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 03:28:08 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Changes to common-opencl.c

On 13 Jan, 2013, at 1:54 , Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi, in order to allow multi-gpu setups:
>
> I would like to change the behavior of common opencl functions. The new configuration will allow Sayantan to use common-opencl functions (only functions dealing directly with multi-gpu running management is not going to be shared).

Good stuff!

> Questions:
> - i put *start_opencl_devices()* in john.c (john_init) is it a good place?

I believe so.

> - where should i put *clean_opencl_devices()*. I mean, there is a john_finishing?

Yes, but it's called john_done().

> - now it is possible to have --platform=1 --device=0 or --devices=1,2,3. But, in such a case there are three variables keeping the 'same information' inside formats. device_id, platform_id and ocl_gpu_id (the sequential number). Can we select how JtR will work? [It is not really true, but i know how to solve this in everyone formats except Sayantan's]. So, i can't make a propose.

We'll see what Sayantan says but my first reflection is we only need a devices array. We could drop the platform notion everywhere except --list=opencl-devices, which should show the same information as eg. clinfo does, as well as the JtR's device number that matches each "platform:device".

> Important:
> - I changed all but Sayantan's formats to this new API (only one line per format). I mean.
>  . we do the 'initialization' of opencl using platform_id and device_id.
>  . but then uses ocl_gpu_id. See the questions above.
> - I need to understand Sayantan usage of copied common-opencl.c code to change it. Even better, Sayantan can say his opinion on the matter.
> - magnun's code as listOpenCLdevices was not tested.
>
> Patch (only a few formats was tested)
> https://github.com/claudioandre/JohnTheRipper/commit/bcde5f7ddbc3686a346274d6c6ec5a05183bfdd3

I'll have a look at it. I'm tempted to include this in Jumbo-8 if we are to change the --platform and --device syntax. The earlier we do such things, the better.

magnum