Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:28:50 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Changes to common-opencl.c

On 13 Jan, 2013, at 13:29 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/13/2013 03:42 AM, magnum wrote:
>>>
>>> --devices=1,2,3 seems to be not implemented yet in your patch, or at
>>> least I don't see it.
>>> Maybe we could do something like --devices=all - I think that was magnum's idea.
>>
>> Simply change the existing --device option to --devices and with John's normal way of allowing abbreviations, --device will still work as well :-)
>>
>> Then of course there's some parsing to do. With VCL (which is awesome) in mind, I think support for all these forms will be appreciated:
>>
>> --device=3
>>
>> --devices=1,2,5
>>
>> --devices=3-5
>>
>> --devices=gpus
>>
>> --devices=cpus
>>
>> --devices=all
>
> If you intend to include this 1.7.9-jumbo-8, keep in mind that I might
> need to adjust john.bash-completion, once the new logic is fixed.
> (It probably a trivial change, but may be you need to help me testing it.)

Yes. We should probably not include this in J8 at all but if we can get it stable quick enough it would be a cool thing having support for multi-device mscash2.

I think what we should do for now is apply this to bleeding-jumbo and see how fast we can complete it. If it's good stuff within a few days we might cherry-pick it back to unstable.

magnum