Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:58:46 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New plugin load order magic

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 08:26:40AM +0100, magnum wrote:
> I was just considering reverting my patch for now.

Yes, I think you should.

> I tried to follow loader.c but I don't see where it calls init (it does not happen in loader.c).

ldr_split_line() calls fmt_init().  It is called not only by
ldr_load_pw_line(), but also by ldr_show_pw_line().  We could have
ldr_split_line() skip calling fmt_init() if source is not NULL,
indicating call from ldr_show_pw_line().  However:

> Also, does the conventions allow calling binary() without calling init()? Not that I know of any format that would have any problems with that.

This is in fact a problem.  Not only does the convention so far not
allow that, but some formats may actually require init() to be called
before binary().  I think some of my DES code may depend on that, in
some builds.

We may want to eliminate the need to call binary() for --show, but this
may have non-trivial consequences (some desirable, some maybe not).

Alexander