Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 01:18:13 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: External mode on GPU

The recent External mode discussions reminded me of this crazy and half-baked idea I've had for a while:

Picture "External mode" but for, and on, GPU: Basically, just take a block of code from john.conf and toss it in along with the kernel for a GPU format, to the normal OpenCL run-time compiler. Even if not super-efficient, the incredible flexibility could compensate for that - and candidates would be generated right on the GPU with no need to transfer them (except ones that made a correct guess).

There would need to be some interface designed of course. Lots of caveats and design choices. And I'm not sure it would fly at all.

magnum