Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 17:59:18 -0500
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mask mode (was Password Generation on GPU)

---- magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I should just drop it from the repo until more complete. It doesn't support resuming yet.
>
> magnum

lol, you beat me to it, while I was working on a message.  Actually, I think it very useful as it is. It allows some testing, and thinking about ways a mask mode can be properly used in JtR.  It is a feature that was woefully lacking.  Think 'like' masking could be done with extern mode, but that is so terribly slow, that for many formats, it simply is not very useful.   But a mask mode should work as fast (or even faster) than incremental mode.

Jim.