Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 05:28:39 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: BLAKE2 (was: New plugin load order magic)

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 01:10:43AM +0100, magnum wrote:
> BTW I also renamed (talking format *labels* now) blake2-512 to raw-blake2-512, I hope anyone doesn't disagree with that?

I don't disagree with that, but the whole addition of BLAKE2 may need
discussion.  If we add it at all, then we should have not only BLAKE2b,
but also BLAKE2s.  The format names should probably be blake2b (not
blake2-512) and blake2s.  Alternatively, we can use just blake2 (for
BLAKE2b aka BLAKE2) and blake2s (for BLAKE2s).

Then, Dhiru included the slow reference implementation of BLAKE2b
instead of the SIMD implementations.  I think we should include all SIMD
implementations that are available from BLAKE2 team, plus the reference
implementations for non-x86 and for older x86 CPUs.

This becomes some effort for unclear purpose.  Publicity for JtR?
Being ready just in case?  Anyway, I don't mind this being done.  The
current low speeds that we have for BLAKE2b are not good publicity.

Alexander