Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 07:27:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: clear_keys(self)

magnum -

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 05:16:50AM +0100, magnum wrote:
> I think we might want to add a "struct fmt_main *self" parameter to clear_keys() for access to self->params.max_keys_per_crypt and other things. Maybe this has alrady been discussed?

No, but the convention has been to only pass the self pointer to
functions that may be called before init(), and to init() itself.  The
rest may use a global variable (declared static in the fmt file), which
is either the only format struct or a pointer set by init().  I see
little reason to single out clear_keys().  So I oppose this change.

What formats would use this?  Is this e.g. for sharing of clear_keys()
implementation between several formats (which)?

Thanks for asking!

Alexander