Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 00:45:35 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bitslice DES on GPU

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> I'm now able to pinpoint the locations of 2 out of 48 indexes in the
> binary. And modifying them at those locations really works( at least on
> 7970) !!
>
> Regards,
> Sayantan

Although I have located all the 48 indexes in the binary, but modifying
them works only for a few salts. The problem is the offset values are
drifting with different salts and I can't generalize the whole process for
all of them. Of course we can find the offset values individually for all
the salts but it would be a task of astronomical proportions!!

   Maybe we should think of some other techniques rather than modifying the
binaries. For example , we can pre-compile all the 4096 kernels save them
on disk and load them before we start cracking/benchmark. While pre
compiling we could also use multiple cores to reduce the time required.
Disk space required is less than 600MB and time required should be less
than 10min for a quad core. This would be more general, reliable and
require far less maintenance.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped