Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 01:58:05 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bash completion failures

On 12/16/2012 01:24 AM, magnum wrote:
> I don't quite get it. What is the bug? Should we not fix it? How do we?

The first line of output of
$ ./john --format=crypt --subformat=\? --test=0
is OK:
Warning: doing quick benchmarking - the performance numbers will be
inaccurate

(May be it should be written to stderr instead of stdout, but I don't care.)

This line is new to me, but I could ignore it as well:
The crypt format does not use internal charset conversion
(--encoding=utf8 option).

I am missing a line that was printed in earlier versions (in addition to
the warning about inaccurate performance numbers):

Subformat unknown to John. Currently supported: descrypt, md5crypt,
bcrypt, sha256crypt, sha512crypt

Now I only get the list of supported subformats when I use something
crazy like specifying the john binary as the password file:

$ ./john --format=crypt --subformat=\? john
Generic crypt(3) module: hash encoding string length 38, type id #0
appears to be unsupported on this system; will not load such hashes.
[...]
Generic crypt(3) module: hash encoding string length 40, type id #0
appears to be unsupported on this system; will not load such hashes.
Subformat unknown to John. Currently supported: descrypt, md5crypt,
bcrypt, sha256crypt, sha512crypt

I used the list of supported subformats to complete --subformat=[tab]
(May be I still need to work around incompatibilities between the sed
versions of Linux and OS X again, OS X might not like
sed -n 's#,# #g;/^Subformat / s#^[^:]*:\(.*\)$#\L\1# p'

But as long as I don't even get a list of subformats, I'll not touch
this sed command.
Once I get that list of subformats again, I might need to split the
command into several parts, and I might need to replace the \L with a
separate LC_ALL=C tr A-Z a-z.
(Translating to lower case is necessary because I think older john
versions used DES and MD5.)

Frank