Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 16:11:53 -0200
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problems on recent AMD driver

Em 21-11-2012 15:48, magnum escreveu:
> Also, why does it work here:
>
> magnum@...r-osx:src [unstable-jumbo]$ git grep -hC5 clEnqueueMapBuffer opencl_cryptsha256_fmt.c | head
>      pinned_saved_keys = clCreateBuffer(context[ocl_gpu_id],
>              CL_MEM_READ_WRITE | CL_MEM_ALLOC_HOST_PTR,
>              sizeof(sha256_password) * gws, NULL, &ret_code);
>      HANDLE_CLERROR(ret_code, "Error creating page-locked memory pinned_saved_keys");
>
>      plaintext = (sha256_password *) clEnqueueMapBuffer(queue[ocl_gpu_id],
>              pinned_saved_keys, CL_TRUE, CL_MAP_WRITE | CL_MAP_READ, 0,
>              sizeof(sha256_password) * gws, 0, NULL, NULL, &ret_code);
>      HANDLE_CLERROR(ret_code, "Error mapping page-locked memory saved_plain");
>
> The only difference I can see is that I use CL_MEM_READ_ONLY instead of CL_MEM_READ_WRITE. What happens if you revert to unstable-jumbo and just change that?
>
> magnum

To me it is a mistery. I tried to copy "my code" and change variable
names and it fails too.
Why it works on some formats and not on others? No idea.
I tried  CL_MEM_READ_ONLY / CL_MEM_READ_WRITE / etc. Nothing helped. At
least, this makes sense.

So, this cryptsha256 (and 512 and raw) code could start failing someday?
Maybe.

Even crazier; commit a99312a
<https://github.com/claudioandre/magnum-jumbo/commit/a99312acac0bc0232776c1349e19ec4a4c40b64e>
works on Radeon 6770, GTX 570 and CPUs. Without doing the proper
allocation? Yes. How? It shouldn't!!

So, for a while, there are bug(s) somewhere!

Claudio

Content of type "text/html" skipped