Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:32:34 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: zsh completion for john

On 11/18/2012 10:57 PM, magnum wrote:
> In fact, I would appreciate a pull request for your zsh completion, complete with whatever is needed (maybe a zsh-completion make target? Or maybe change the existing bash-completion make target to do both (new name shell-completion or something like that).

The bash completion also got some inconsistencies over time.
I intended to rework this, but never got to it so far.

Changes I had in mind:
1.
Instead of hard coding almost every option and it's valid abbreviated
forms, automatically compute the mapping of valid abbreviated option
names to complete option names.
2.
Fix the (meanwhile invalid) assumption that all the hidden options are
options which allow a value being appended (--option[=value]).
This causes bash completion not to add a trailing space where a trailing
space should be added.
(This problem would only get worse if we move some more options from the
default usage output to --list=hidden-options output.)

Frank