Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 01:06:36 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Croatian charset support (was: KoreLogic rules on Openwall)

On 4 Nov, 2012, at 8:31 , magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

>>> I found this: http://luki.sdf-eu.org/txt/cs-encodings-faq.html
>>> So I suppose CP852, CP1250 and ISO-8859-2? Having these in place will make the rules engine able to, for example, upper/lowercase Croatian non-ascii letters. The UTF-8 support does not include the Rules engine when it comes to single letter manipulations.
>>
>> Thanks magnum!
>>
>> Yes, it's CP852, CP1250, ISO-8859-2 and of course UTF-8.
>> Also, does it support stripping of special characters, so for example š
>> becomes s, č becomes c, etc..?
>> Also, I'm interested - in what charset I should write rules? So, they
>> can be automatically converted?

The mentioned codepages are now added to unstable-jumbo. Have a look at doc/ENCODINGS and try it out!

If you really want "stripping" implemented in the rules engine, I have found a canonical way to do it. Using Unicode's decomposition feature, the script we use for adding new codepages can be extended to generate the needed lookup table for any codepage. É will become E, ü will become u and so on. The hardest part is probably deciding what rule command letter to use.

magnum