Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:04:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: cracking 40-bit RC4 keys of Office and PDF files

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:22:29AM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:08 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> > Not sure why really.
>
> Maybe Solar can answer this one.

I don't know.  Placement of the #pragma should affect efficiency, but
not correctness (comparing these two alternatives only).

However, I do know that magnum should have set a reasonable Subject for
this thread.  No one on john-dev cares that we had a long-running
process on a certain machine some days ago.  Similarly, no one on
john-dev cares where this discussion has been moved from.  I've fixed
the Subject now.

> I am working on a similar key brute-forcer for PDF files where the key
> calculation is expensive (50 rounds of MD5).

Huh?  GuaPDF cracks these in about the same time that GuaWord/GuaExcel
do, so I think that you're wrong.  Perhaps the MD5s are inside the loop
only when you're cracking passwords and not keys?

Alexander