Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 20:28:13 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Office2013 OpenCL

On 6 Oct, 2012, at 18:47 , Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com> wrote:

> Em 06-10-2012 09:34, magnum escreveu:
>> On 5 Oct, 2012, at 16:31 , Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, your code works fine here (as is). Full output below.
>>>
>>> In such conditions, find the error on 7970 could take some time.
>> Yes. Dhiru reports it is working fine on 6970 too.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> magnum
>
> I have a candidate. Do you remember we are using this not (only) because of performance, but because do the 'shifts' was not working?
> #define SWAP64(n)       (as_ulong(as_uchar8(n).s76543210))
> ---
>
> I think we should investigate the 'shift's you are using inside your code. Seems to be a good start, and you are using a few of them.

The same SHA-512 function (and shift stuff etc.) works fine in your's and Myrice's formats, I just changed it to work directly on the input buffer, and skip using a context struct. I have tried changing the swaps and bitselect stuff to the generic code the nvidias use, but it doesn't change a thing.

Also, I change the hash loops to use uint throughout (getting rid of lots of shifting) but it neither affected speed nor outcome - it still fails (and still passes on other GPUs).

Given it works fine on all other systems I know of (well except Apple but that is clearly a driver problem too), I regard this a driver bug and I will just ignore it for now.

Thanks,
magnum