Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 03:46:22 +0400
From: Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPL license is not free at all

On 2012-10-01 17:53, Rich Rumble wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Aleksey Cherepanov
> <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com> wrote:
>> GPL is a copyleft license: it forces you to redistribute derivative
>> work under the same license. In GPL v2 it is expressed in section 4.
> 9 times out of 10... There appear to be exceptions.
>> It means that you could not add any additional limitation of freedom.
>> Adding unrar with its limitation violates this.
>>
>> Does it make sense for you?
> Who knew freedom had so many restrictions!! I've also read the
> GPLv(1,2,3) [copyleft]aren't as cut and dry as that because fair use
> and partial-copyleft allow exemptions to portions of code to be
> licensed separately. The lack of clarity is infuriating, in on breath
> I can see it as a violation then the next I have no idea... there are
> exceptions and allowances for dual-licenses, and linking code a
> certain way...
> Better safe than sorry, change to some other (free)library seems to be
> the take away, because a lay person can't comprehend what looks to be
> a straight forward issue. I am that lay person, for others I'm sure
> it's cut and dry. I'm actually going to review my own code projects
> and switch licenses now, I've been too naive with regard to GPL
> licenses.

You think that dealing with permissive licenses is easy? First of all,
there are some very strange readings for usual clauses -- cf. the story
with Pine (see, for example,
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/11/msg00138.html ).
Then there plenty of permissive licenses -- 4 clause BSD, 3 clause BSD,
2 clause BSD, MIT, X11, Expat, ISC... And everyone make his own variant.
Take, for example, Gladman's code -- which licenses it's under? It looks
like BSD but not quite. It's much easier when everyone uses GPL.

--
Alexander Cherepanov