Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 18:24:00 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: o5logon format hacks

On 3 Oct, 2012, at 17:44 , Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:

> I have replaced the cracked array approach with standard get_hash* functions.
>
> commit f222da8de1336c2d3810bde7ac9d1f9b9a9d5662
> Author: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru@...nwall.com>
> Date:   Wed Oct 3 21:06:53 2012 +0530
>
>    Remove my hacks from o5logon format
>

> But does this patch make any sense since binary value is always same?
>
> I suspect that it will still run into "too many collisions detected" problem.

I think it does not make sense, it should probably be reverted (although there was some other changes too in that commit, right?). What you should do is use fmt_default_binary *and* set BINARY_SIZE to 0 for all formats that does not use a binary. This will change the warning text a little, as well as reduce unneeded memory use.

magnum