Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 22:45:03 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPL license is not free at all

On 1 Oct, 2012, at 21:50 , Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com> wrote:

> By the way, Debian distribute unrar in both binary and source form, under "non-free". It also has 7z package which is able to unpack rar using unrar code is _not_ under the non-free section.

I'm nowhere near to understand GPL but I suppose that is because the unrar binary is not linked against any GPL code? What about standard libs, are they LGPL and thus more free?

> Moreover, I'm afraid that if we were to follow strictly that GPL madness, we should stop developing GPU code at all, because we link to the proprietary OpenCL library anyway.

LOL. OK, so we drop all GPU support, as well as all formats that use OpenSSL (which btw includes RAR anyway). What is left? Core John. Let's just rename john-jumbo to john-nonfree and get over with it. This is just silly.

magnum