Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:00:11 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL kernel max running time vs. "ASIC hang"

I have implemented this in office-opencl formats, and will do in RAR (that's harder though). I first targeted 100-200 ms and ASIC hangs disappeared. The performance virtually did not drop at all so for better X interactivity I tried going for 10 ms, and performance is *still* virtually the same, while X response is much better.

Specifically, these kernels include 50,000 or 100,000 rounds of SHA-1. I went from one fat 5-second kernel into three, with the middle (heavy) one called like this (1024 rounds per call):

        for (index = 0; index < 50000 / 1024; index++)
                HANDLE_CLERROR(clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(queue[ocl_gpu_id], Hash1k, 1, NULL, &global_work_size, &local_work_size, 0, NULL, NULL), "failed in clEnqueueNDRangeKernel");

And my latest version use a #define currently set to 128 rounds per call:

        for (index = 0; index < 50000 / HASH_LOOPS; index++)
                HANDLE_CLERROR(clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(queue[ocl_gpu_id], HashLoop, 1, NULL, &global_work_size, &local_work_size, 0, NULL, NULL), "failed in clEnqueueNDRangeKernel");

I thought this would have a lot greater impact on performance than it does. I do not transfer any data between these looped calls, the intermediate data stays in a global array not even mapped to host memory. Note though, that this does not help responsitivity of JtR itself, it still has to do all the job in crypt_all() before eg. responding to a key press. And this total time is still in the order of seconds. But ASIC hangs are history and you can read your mail while cracking :)

BTW, preliminary tests indicate we are now 20% faster than Ivan Golubev's Passcovery when attacking Office 2007 or 2010 formats. At least on Dhiru's ATI 6970. I am the king (for a while :)

magnum