Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 03:26:42 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Mountain Lion hashes (WIP)

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 02:38:57AM +0400, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> On 2012-09-08 15:56, Solar Designer wrote:
> >> Format : filename:$ml$iterations$salt$hash
> >
> > This looks much better to me.  Thank you!
>
> IMHO it could be worth it for you to take a more active stance in such
> questions. At least in clear-cut cases which don't require additional
> research.

Yes.  On one hand, this is a bikeshed.  On the other, it is an important
bikeshed.  I was going to comment, but you were quicker, and the end
result is probably satisfactory.

I am only commenting on a subset of JtR development issues that I
"should" comment on.  Ditto for other projects.  This is just the reality.
I think it's the same for other people involved with the projects.

Before I finally adopted jumbo and started making almost-official
releases of it, I was the bottleneck for most things JtR.  There were
multiple unofficial patches and cloned trees (such as Simon's "myjohn").
That was not healthy for the project.  The current situation with jumbo
is not perfect either, but it is better, given that we also have the
more conservative core tree.

Thank you for sharing your opinion on this, and for your help with JtR
lately!

Alexander