Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 20:52:15 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Arbitrary characters in rules, using \xnn

Jim posted a patch in May (ad56c30) that added support for arbitrary characters in rules, using \xnn notation. Although I think it was supposed to work in pre-processor ranges, I tried to use it today and found out it did not. I committed a patch for this now, fairly well tested (which was a good thing because I had a serious problem with ranges ending in \xff at first). Now things like this works:

# Append any 8th bit character to the word (not UTF-8)
-8 -U $[\x80-\xff]

# Prepend or append an UTF-8 card suit to the word
-8 A[0z]"\xe2\x99[\xa0\xa3\xa5\xa6]"

magnum