Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:10:07 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bash completion on OSX

On 09/10/2012 12:31 AM, magnum wrote:
> Note, though, that the following works like a charm with Apples's BSD grep as well as GNU grep (and is much simpler to boot):
>
> $ ../run/john --list=formats | grep -Eo '[^ ,]+'
>
> Could we possibly detect when this is possible to use, and prefer that? Personally I could not care less about legacy support.

I could try using the --list=formats option first, and only if it fails
fall back to parsing the usage output.
May be I'll not be able to send a patch today or tomorrow.
So you might as well fix the problem yourself.
Dropping support for core john versions (or older jumbo versions) on all
platforms, just to fix an OS X problem, is not such a good idea, I think.

Frank