Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 21:25:05 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New formats: KRB5-18 and KRB5-23

On 09/06/2012 09:12 AM, Camille Mougey wrote:
> I send you two new formats, named KRB5-18 and KRB5-23 and both tools :
> krb5_util.patch and kdcdump2john.

Thanks, this is now committed to git. Since it has a dependency on KRB5
libs and headers, it is by default disabled but emits a notice when
building, just like a couple of other formats.

> The idea is as follows:
> - On a KDC server, with the krb5_util patched tool, dump the unencrypted
> database.

I placed the README in the doc directory. I'm not sure I did the right
thing, but I also placed the krb5-util patch there too. Maybe we should
put it in unused/ with a notice in the readme.

> - With kdcdump2john, get relevant informations and create a hash list for
> john
> - The 2 formats corresponds to, respectively, aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96 (the
> recommended format) and arcfour-hmac (faster to crack)

Yes, a lot... here's my benchmarks, non-OMP (i7 at 2.3):

Benchmarking: KRB5 aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96 [32/64]... DONE
Raw:	151 c/s real, 151 c/s virtual

Benchmarking: KRB5 arcfour-hmac [32/64]... DONE
Raw:	3327K c/s real, 3327K c/s virtual

> Looking forward for your comments,

While they work like champs on Linux, both fail self-test on OSX,
although there are no problems nor warnings when building. I'm not sure
I'll be able to debug that soon, maybe you or someone else can.

magnum