Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:43:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Benchmark format error

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:28:05PM +0200, Camille Mougey wrote:
> I've spot the bug.

Great!

> I had misunderstood the relations
> between get_hash* and cmp_*. Actually, the default format function fix the
> problem :).

Do you mean fmt_default_binary_hash and fmt_default_get_hash?  If so,
their use kills performance at many hashes per salt.  It also slows down
the loader, even with few hashes per salt as long as the total number
of hashes is large.  The loader will then print nasty warnings about
"excessive partial hash collisions" and explain the cause (lacking
"proper binary_hash() function definitions").  So what you did probably
counts as a temporary workaround, not a fix.  Just test it with a
million hashes and see what happens.

> I hope I'll be able to put online the patch in further days.

Please do.

Alexander