Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:04:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Benchmark format error

Hi Camille,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:07:43AM +0200, Camille Mougey wrote:
> I'm trying to add a new format to john. Actually, the format is working on
> hashlist, with and without the tag, etc.
> But the benchmark part isn't working, and I have no idea why.

Are you able to post the code?

> In fact, john said the self-test failed

Can you please post the specific "FAILED ..." message?  It should
include the function name on which the failure was detected.

Also, what version of John are you adding this format to?  (There are
currently slightly different requirements between magnum-jumbo and
bleeding-jumbo branches.)

> Has anyone an idea of the possible reason for a format to work on hash list
> while failing its tests ?

There are many possible reasons, ranging from wrong test vectors to code
bugs.  It'd be helpful to see whatever additional info you can post
before we start guessing.

Thanks,

Alexander