Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 02:18:28 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: OpenCL on OSX

I got hold of a Macbook with Kepler GPU so I did some OpenCL testing. That was depressing. Every single format fails on GPU (while most or all work fine on CPU). There are also tons of benign but noisy warnings about things like comparing integers of different signs. I'll fix that too but it's not the real problem.

The symptoms are just like a few others already have reported:

OpenCL platform 0: Apple, 2 device(s).
Using device 1: GeForce GT 650M
Compilation log:
Error building kernel. Returned build code: -11. DEVICE_INFO=130
OpenCL error (CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE) in file (common-opencl.c) at line (136) - (clBuildProgram failed.)

This exact output is emitted no matter what format I try, which indicates this might be a very trivial problem - once we nail it... Either we have a systematic little problem in all of our formats (or common-opencl.c), or there is just some bogosity in Makefile paths or the like. I'll try to sort it out within the next days. I'll start with building some hello-world OpenCL application although we have already had another user do that with no problems.

Anyone got the slightest clue, speak up! It took me a while just to figure out how to get a normal command-line build environment on this beast.

magnum
Content of type "text/html" skipped