Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:25:30 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's status report #16

On 08/22/2012 05:24 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> - under root there are runtime warnings
>   (at least on OpenSUSE under gnome3)
>   "...GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:..."

I saw the same on Fedora 16 (with xfce), if I log on a a regular user,
then su to become root (e.g., to install the rpm package, and then start
johnny as root.

(process:6797): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS
daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(process:6797): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS
daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(process:6797): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS
daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of
the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
authentication failed

(process:6797): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS
daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

If I use "su -" instead of just "su", then these warnings don't occur.

(I knew I saw that before, but was almost unable to reproduce it, until
I remembered I used "su" instead of "su -" when the problem occurred.)

Frank