Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:24:46 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Aleksey's status report #16

I never thought that packaging could be so long and hard. But I got
all packages in time (though using hackish way). Then I fixed a bit
more and put new packages to the wiki:
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny#Release-1.1
(Older versions of page are available through "old revisions", I did
not overwrite files so everything is available as it was.)

It's the time to announce release on john-users.

Done

- fixes
- packages
- semi-automated way of building and packaging
  I wrote some scripts just to write down the sequence of actions
  needed to craft packages. But some things were done manually and/or
  with help of macros (using xte). I think I could improve it to make
  fully automated builds. Though it will not avoid need of manual
  tests. Also I think these scripts should be reworked when normal
  .spec will be written.

Observations and problems

- on ubuntu in installation manager "a number" looks like "anumber"
  I guess ubuntu reformat text wrong (a and number are on different
  lines). Other distros/software does not seem to reformat text
  (though I did not test much).

- left panel works weird if user drugs items
  i.e. if user clicks and move mouse holding button. I'd look for
  other implementation (e.g. not using QListWidget).

- there is a 1px white line on the right side of left panel
  Fixing "..." in passwords label I increased width. So when not under
  gnome3 with fallback mode there is a line. It is noticeable because
  left panel has different background colors for elements and selected
  item has quite dark background. Though I guess it is not noticeable
  when you do not know about it.

- under gnome3 fallback mode there are runtime warnings
  "QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme."

- under root there are runtime warnings
  (at least on OpenSUSE under gnome3)
  "...GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:..."

- Debian installs more than I see in dependencies
  I guess by default gui installer installs also packages from
  "recommends" section/tag. Though I did not investigate it because it
  installs not so much.

To do

- announce release
- submit final eval

I think I'll slow down after it to relax (cure my painful fingers) and
to do tasks I postponed during summer to dedicate all the time to work
here.

- prepare johnny 1.2
- improve scripts for releases
- release johnny 1.2