Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 08:54:44 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's daily status report #12

On 08/18/2012 02:54 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:35:35PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> On 08/17/2012 10:59 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
>>> - labels on left panel get "..." inside on small screens
>>>   When Johnny's window is very small there is a scroll bar that
>>>   reduces width and qt being unable to show full labels replaces parts
>>>   with "..." so instead of "Passwords" user see "Pa...ds". Problem
>>>   occurs on 640x480 monitors with two system panels (debian) or when
>>>   user resizes window significantly.
>>
>> I think we can ignore this.
>> Even on a 10" screen you'll have at least 1024x600 pixels, any "normal"
>> screen would have at least 768 pixels vertically.
>
> Problems is with height so 10" with its 600 pixels is worse then
> 640x480. Though it is not so important now.
>
> And I am not sure how to fix because width is given by constant and it
> affects appearance in some non-trivial ways. I think it needs time to
> investigation.

If you want to reduce vertical screen size, I think you could more the
"Call John for formats list" out of "Options" , and always load the
format list when you start johnny or when the <path_to_john_binary> is
changed.

May be even the "Edit John's configuration file" could be moved to
"Settings", but I am not sure.

Instead of multiple "_ Use external mode, filter name ___" lines, you
could have just one which gets used for both --single, --wordlist, and
--incremental.
If the user selects "Default" or External, just hide those elements...

But I think higher priority is providing .deb and .rpm packages now.

Frank