Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 01:15:14 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's status report #14

On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:25:13AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 03:49 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> > Aleksey, Frank -

> >> Can you use a file name without spaces and special characters. e.g.,
> >> just ~/.config/Openwall/Johnny.conf instead?
> >> It may be just a matter of taste, but I find file names with spaces
> >> annoying.
> >> If you don't line Johnny.conf, then may be Johnny-GUI.conf?
> >
> > How about making it simply ~/.john/johnny.conf (all-lowercase) or
> > ~/.john/gui.conf (ditto)?  John the Ripper may already create ~/.john if
> > it is installed system-wide, we can just reuse this directory if present
> > or create it if not.
>
> Apparently, Aleksey uses a generig function which should work for
> Windows as well, putting the config file into a user specific .config
> subdirectory. (This was suggested by Simon in a private mail, and I
> think it is a reasonable choice.
>
> Other subdirectories I currently have in ~./config are
> autostart  dconf    evince   ibus      Openwall       Thunar
> transmission    xfce4
> banshee-1  Empathy  gedit    leafpad   orage          totem      yelp
> brasero    enchant  goa-1.0  nautilus  session-state  tracker  vlc
>
> In addition to these directories (with config files in most of these),
> there's a file Trolltech.conf. Looks like that was created when I
> shortly tested the latest johnny version.

I do expect Trolltech.conf to be written by johnny. It is not in code
and johnny does not write it on my debian. Maybe your build of qt
writes it. I do not know but it should not be harmful in any case.

> > ... In fact, why the .conf suffix?  Does this file use the same human
> > friendly syntax that john.conf uses?  If so, this may be OK (although
> > having the file overwritten by the GUI might be unexpected).  Otherwise,
> > we need to call it something else - e.g., ~/.john/gui.dat.
>
> I think Alexander didn't even specify that suffix.
> It is added by the generic function Aleksey used
> The config file uses a syntax similar to john.conf, with [Section]
> and VarName=value.
> I guess, under Windows, the file will be stored somewhere else (in an
> Openwall subdirectory of a directory where other applications store
> their config files), and the file name will have the suffix .ini.
>
> Since I never edited one of the files in ~/.config manually, I am quite
> sure these are all written by some GUI, so overwriting these files by
> the GUI should b OK, don't you think?

I did not specify name at all. Qt crafted it itself from org name and
app name. Though I've put other name: ~/.john/johnny.conf . Though
maybe it is better to use .ini extension everywhere to make windows
users happy with well known extension. Maybe it does not really
matter.

Thanks!

--
Regards,