Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 03:10:47 +0800
From: myrice <qqlddg@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Mask mode (was Password Generation on GPU)

Solar -

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> myrice, Samuele, magnum, all -
>
> 1. Enhance the formats interface by adding an optional method like:
>
> void set_mask(int count, int *positions, char **charsets)
>
> which would tell the format to substitute all possible characters from
> the supplied charsets in the supplied character positions.  For example,
> if called with (1, [5], ["abcdef"]), it would for every key set with
> set_key() additionally substitute every one of the six characters in
> character position number 5 (zero-based).  So crypt_all() would produce
> 6 times more password hashes than we had candidate passwords provided
> via set_key().  cmp_all() would operate on all of the actually computed
> hashes.  In order for the caller to know how many times to call
> cmp_one(), cmp_exact(), and get_hash*() - when these are needed -
> crypt_all() would be changed to return the number of hashes actually
> computed.  (I am considering certain other changes as well, which may
> result in these interfaces being revised some further or differently,
> but I am not including those other changes here to avoid confusion.)
>
> 2. Add a "mask mode" to JtR.  (This is desirable anyway.  Other crackers
> have it, but JtR makes this unnecessarily difficult for users by only
> providing things like the KnownForce external mode instead.)  In this
> mode, the user will specify a mask consisting of per character position
> charsets (or just charset identifiers such as "lowercase letter").
>
> Indeed, this cracking mode will make use of the set_mask() feature above
> (when the current format provides it) for some of the character
> positions (iterating over the rest on its own such that the program
> doesn't stay inside crypt_all() forever and run out of memory for the
> computed hashes, but is responsive to any-key, prints guessed
> passwords, updated the pot/log/rec files, etc.)

I am changing hard coded password generation to mask mode. If I got it
correct, hashcat use mask mode generated password based on mask only.

>From previous discuss, JtR could apply mask on exist keys that passed
from set_keys() interface.

I provided void set_mask(int count, int *positions, char* masks). For
example, we could use set_mask(2, [2,4], ['d', 'l']). It will replace
position 2 with digits and 4 with lower case letters. 'd' indicates
digits and 'l' indicates letters which borrow from hashcat and
correspond to wordlist rules in JtR.

But this may be overlap. If we have a wordlist file contains
"password[1-9]" and we set mask to set_mask(1, [9], ['d']). In
crypt_all, we will have "password[1-9]" multiple times. Or we just
append to the keys not replace the exist character in the wordlist?

Also, what if some words don't have such positions. Using set_mask(2,
[2,4], ['d', 'l']) as example, if a word is 'am', it do not have
position 4 and am_'l'( _ is null) do not seems like a meaningful word.
I prefer to discard these invalid positions.

Another way of using mask is use mask alone (or it is real mask
mode?). We do not use set_keys() and only use set_masks(). For
example, we could use set_mask(4, [1,2,3,4], ['d', 'd', 'd', 'd']) to
produce 0000-9999 on GPU. But if the mask is too large, such as
aaaaaaaa-zzzzzzzz, I am afraid of long GPU run which cause ASIC hang.

I am test mask mode only in raw-md5-opencl and have not produce
set_mask() interface into john. I manually set_mask in reset(). I want
to make these clear before I add interface into it: overlap, only
append to word and invalid positions.

Thanks!
myrice