Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 08:40:11 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Aleksey's status report #14

On 08/06/2012 04:35 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 11:22:41PM +0400, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
>> I'll do day reports. I think I'll answer to weekly reports. Ok?
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "I think I'll answer to weekly
> reports", so I can't tell you if it's OK or not.

I think Aleksey wanted to post the daily information about bugs being
fixed (or not fixed due to some problem) as replies to the weekly status
report.
This is not a good idea. A separate thread per topic (with an
appropriate subject) is preferred, I think.

>> - progressbar fixed
>>
>> Currently it works well. Though it shows overall progress on file, it
>> is a progress in cracks, i.e. 1 cracked, 9 left = 10%. Probably it would
>> be better for users to see percentage of their attack, i.e. 1 day
>> spent and 50% means that we should wait 1 day more. But it has its own
>> drawback and it seems to be harder to implement. Although we could
>> have 2 progressbar: for attack and for overall progress.
>
> This makes sense.
>
> How do you determine the guess count?  Please note that the guess count
> on the "guesses: ..." line printed while cracking may exceed the total
> number of hashes loaded in some obscure cases (e.g., with FMT_NOT_EXACT
> in jumbo, as well as if the pot file is removed and then the session is
> restored).  Do you use --show instead?  If so, you should be safe from this.

I am sure he is using john --show.
When running a new attack in johhny, the text in the progress bar area
lists the correct number of passwords.

Frank